Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interesting, Scary and Hilarious

The Toronto Public Health Department has just used facebook to track down a woman who needed a rabies shot after dealing with a rabid bat.

Interesting? Yes, because technology is clearly providing crazy new ways for us to interact with eachother and find information to help people.

Scary? Indeed, because "the Man," as it were, can apparently track you down quite easily. This undermines the idea of internet anonymity because it means that people are able to go from your virtual identity to your front door in fewer than three weeks.

Hilarious? Obviously. The woman from the Health Department's last name is Crapper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not too scary, in this case at least. There was another woman who came into contact with the bat whom they have not been able to contact, even through Facebook. All they can use is the information that's out there ... so far ...

http://torontoist.com/2007/09/batrabies.php

Susan Barker said...

Rachel

I came across this equally scary video called Does what happens in the Facebook stay in the facebook. It links Facebook with the CIA and other nefarious US government information gathering agencies. I think most of this has been debunked, but for me, the funniest thing was that as I was watching the video, I was thinking to myself that I didn't really care. I guess privacy is not what it used to be.